Sunday, June 15, 2014

And I shall say t'was lovely


It’s Saturday afternoon and I walk into my backyard, excited but yet a little hesitant to fulfill my final obligation for English. Not knowing what to expect and what “nature” will come my way I plop myself down on the gritty pavement and set up camp between my stucco tan house and the tree that is touching( okay… almost touching) the blue clouded sky. With my smoothie in my left hand and my pen and paper in the other I’m ready to begin my sightseeing adventure, but first a sip of my smoothie, pink speckled with purple and red seeds. My tongue slides over a piece of fruit, pineapple; it’s always the pineapple….                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     Ahh refreshed I’m ready to work again. I notice the winds blowing at my back and a bug flits by me. I am but a tiny bit annoyed. Okay so not the point of this assignment, I’m supposed to be enjoying nature silly goose! I look again and this time I see the earth in its simplest of forms. The wind blows through the grass and while it seems relatively still, upon further inspection I see individual pieces of grass swaying in the breeze. Are ants affected by wind? If so there’s probably a little ant, holding on for dear life on a weed stalk, just wishing to go home to his mother. Lost in a world other then my own, I am startled when my auburn, fuzzy golden retriever dog, Bailey, nudges me. This is her subtle plea for love and attention and all I can think is don’t we all need a little bit more love, don’t we all. My hair falls across my back in a braid still wet from my shower earlier in the morning. I take another sip of my smoothie, I’m running low. Not many bugs swarm around me, that’s good because I can’t handle insects. The bees that used to inhabit my neighbor’s lawn have been relocated. I’m happy they weren’t killed although they are definitely not my friends. Why is it that the bees get to see foreign lands, yet I’m stuck in my backyard? Who knows though, maybe they are jealous of me, getting a warm home to stay in where nobody can kick me out of.  The sun beats at my back and I know that being the fair skinned, blond haired girl I am, I’m sure to get sunburned. I wish I was like the lizard who can hide in the crevices of the walls or the birds who can hid away in the tree out of sight from the light of day. The birds above my head chirp but I can’t place from what part of the tree the singing comes from. It appears that the tree itself is chirping, hopping to tell anyone that will listen the story if has to share. If only we would all take a moment to just sit and hear, nature will be sure to tell its tale, filled with humor, drama, a little fable (every story needs some fluff), and of course hardship . Nature has a way of bringing a smile to the saddened and a good cry to those who need to open up. It’s Saturday afternoon and slowly, hesitantly I walk out of my backyard.
 

1 comment:

  1. I love it! Taking time to notice the small things and to think about them! =)

    ReplyDelete